By Natasja Bolton, Senior Acquirer Support QSA
October 2016 is Cyber Security Awareness Month which runs under the banner of STOP. THINK. CONNECT, and aims to help everyone (private citizens and businesses) to stay safer and more secure online. We believe it is a great opportunity to reach out to your small to medium business customers to educate, encourage and enable them.
So that they can better protect themselves and their customers from cybercrime.
Stop: make sure security measures are in place
Think: about the consequences of your online actions
Connect: and enjoy the Internet
The core message of Cyber Security Awareness Month is that ‘cyber security is a shared responsibility’. The campaign has international support and there are many events, resources and campaign materials available in multiple languages.
We have collated those websites and resources for you, below. Although many of the materials are aimed at the private user, it is well known that if you can instill good practices in people’s personal use of the internet they will be more likely to apply those same secure habits and behaviours in the workplace.
Here at Sysnet we will be supporting Cyber Security Awareness Month by urging all of our staff to test their knowledge of internet security and cyber threats by taking the Cyber Security Quiz.
The many sources of information that can be publicised and disseminated to your merchants include:
- STOP | THINK | CONNECT: includes a range of resources including downloadable Tip Sheets (in multiple languages), Infographics and Posters.
- PCI Payment Protection Resources for Small Merchants: including the Guide to Safe Payments which helps small businesses understand their data security risks and guides them on the security basic to protect against payment data theft.
- European Cyber Security Month (CyberSecMonth): promotes the range of events and activities taking place across Europe as part of the annual advocacy campaign. The website publishes educational and cyber awareness materials including:
- Video clips: which can help businesses make their employees aware of information security risks and good practices
- Computer screen savers: to remind users of information security risks and awareness good practices
- Illustrations: which can help businesses make sure their employees understand their roles and responsibilities
- Posters: some of which are aimed at businesses to help them raise information security awareness
- Cyber Security Quiz: test your knowledge of internet security and cyber threats.
- Das Bundesamt für Sicherheit in der Informationstechnik (BSI): is supporting European Cyber Security Month with a different cyber security focus each week. In week one they will be addressing Secure Payment Online.
- Alert Online: The Netherlands annual cybersecurity awareness campaign taking place from 3rd until the 14th of October; this year’s theme is Cybersecurity Skills. Activities during the campaign will include meetings, workshops and presentations.
- GetSafeOnline: is the UK’s leading source of easy-to-understand information on online safety. They will be supporting European Cyber Security Month by promoting GetSafeOnlineDay on the 18th Downloadable leaflets, posters, audio and video materials are available.
- The National Cybersecurity Alliance: promotes a culture of cybersecurity and privacy through the StaySafeOnline website. The Alliance is supporting the National Cyber Security Awareness Month and, on their BusinessSafeOnline site, provide a range of guidance and resources including downloadable Tip Sheets, Infographics and links to Free Security Check-Ups and Tools.
- GetCyberSafe: the Canadian Government’s national public cyber awareness campaign. GetCyberSafe is promoting Cyber Security Awareness Month with a Toolkit that includes Facebook Cover Photos and Twitter Headers for businesses to use to show their commitment to cyber safety, Infographics including 5 Ways to Run a #CyberSafeBusiness and easy to understand cyber security videos.
How will you help to raise awareness of cyber security threats and promote cyber security? Talk to us today about how Sysnet’s Merchant Contact Services can help you to promote cyber security, educate and share good security practices with your small businesses.
If you are a merchant that requires technical or PCI DSS help, please click here